ASSHOLE AWARD OF THE MONTH: DEPARTMENT OF HOMELESS SERVICES – 2ND SEX OFFENDER LIVING AT PAN AM HOMELESS SHELTER

It is a NYC agency, so it has to be fucked up and inept. What else were you expecting. Second sex offender living at Pan Am: NYS 1

———————–

From Queens Chronicle:

Second sex offender living at Pan Am: NYS

City denies what state records show

Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:17 pm | Updated: 12:24 pm, Thu Jun 23, 2016.

Convicted child predator Dwayne Clark may not be the only Level 3 sex offender calling the Boulevard Family Residence in Elmhurst home.

According to state records, convicted rapist Rodney Moultrie’s primary residence is also 79-00 Queens Blvd., the family homeless shelter being operated out of the former Pan American hotel.

A state Division of Criminal Justice Services representative told the Chronicle on Wednesday that both Clark and Moultrie signed and submitted paperwork on June 7 citing the Boulevard Family Residence as where they live.

Hundreds of children are housed there.

“I can tell you that the registry received both of those addresses on June 7,” the official said. “We reached out to NYPD to see if they’ve received updated information from them and they haven’t.”

Moultrie was convicted in 2003 of first-degree attempted rape after he choked and had forcible sexual intercourse with a woman in May 1997. He was sentenced to between four and eight years in prison.

The official said it’s possible that one or both of the men had moved out of the shelter in the last week or two, as offenders have 10 calendar days to inform the state of their new residence.

“We can’t say whether or not they are still there,” the official said. “They may be in the process.”

When asked why Clark’s address had been flagged with a footnote saying, “the United States Postal Service has indicated this may not be a valid mailing address,” the official said it was because he listed the shelter as being in New York, NY, not Elmhurst, NY.

The representative added that the state has informed the NYPD’s Sex Offender Unit of Moultrie and Clark’s possible residence there.

The Department of Homeless Services, when questioned by the Chronicle about Moultrie, responded Wednesday with the same statement it issued to the newspaper last week for its exclusive story about Clark.

“We are legally obligated to provide shelter to any New Yorker, regardless of background, who would otherwise be turned out onto the streets,” said DHS Senior Communications Advisor Lauren Gray. “All placements are made in compliance with state law, and we can confirm that there is no one residing at this location who is in the registry.”

A DHS spokesperson added that the agency could not identify the names or addresses of people in the shelter system, as per state law protecting client confidentiality.

State Sen. Toby Stavisky (D-Flushing) said in a Wednesday interview that she had grilled a city Human Resources Administration official about such legal protection after being told about Clark by the Chronicle.

“I said once the DCJS puts somebody’s name on their website, it’s no longer privacy, to which she did not accept,” Stavisky said.

“It’s something you can’t make up,” she added of the situation. “This is like saying to a child they can go to the candy store but they can’t buy anything.”

Stavisky also penned a June 17 letter to HRA Commissioner Steven Banks —who is temporarily overseeing the DHS — in which she, Rep. Grace Meng (D-Flushing), state Sen. Jose Peralta (D-East Elmhurst) and Assemblyman Francisco Moya (D-Jackson Heights) hammered the city over Clark’s possible residency at the former Pan Am.

“If there is no procedure at DHS to screen for these crimes, there needs to be one. If there is, it has failed multiple times,” the elected officials wrote. “Identifying sex offenders who compromise the safety of the city’s shelters and surrounding neighborhoods should not be a job the local community has to perform.”

Elmhurst United member Phil Wong said in an email it’s clear that the DHS is negligent when it comes to shelter safety, considering IS 5 and PS 7 are located within 1,000 feet of the residence.

“It seems to me DHS is placing residents in Pan Am without doing any background checks,” Wong wrote. “This puts the shelter residents in danger as well as the people living around it.

“Sadly, the local schools know nothing about this either,” Wong added. I met with IS 5’s parent coordinator last week and she knew nothing about this until I gave her a copy of [the Chronicle’s June 16] article.”

Laura Ahern, the executive director of Parents for Megan’s Law — a not-for-profit dedicated to the prevention of child molestation, named for a 7-year-old girl who was raped and murdered by a sex offender in 1994 — said in a Wednesday statement that laws need to be passed to ban such negligent placement of predators by the DHS.

“Placing registered sex offenders in family homeless shelters where they can have daily unsupervised contact with vulnerable women and children exemplifies a complete and conscious disregard for their safety,” Ahern wrote. “The Social Services Law should be amended to restrict the placement of any registered sex offender in any temporary or homeless shelter that is used to house families with children.”

Officers with the 110th Precinct’s Community Affairs unit did not respond to an inquiry for comment by press time.


DHS: Stop housing violent sex offenders with children

Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:30 am

With all its well-documented deceptions, broken promises and terrible decision-making, it’s hard to believe the Department of Homeless Services could top itself in the category of stupid. But it has, with at least two actions so reckless they defy belief, putting the safety of hundreds of women and children at risk.

Last week the Queens Chronicle broke the news that a registered sex offender was living at the Boulevard Family Residence, the former Pan American Hotel, on Queens Boulevard in Elmhurst. And this week research by Associate Editor Christopher Barca revealed that not one, but at least two, such criminals are listed as living at the shelter by the state’s Sex Offender Registry.

The DHS denies it in a canned statement and refuses to answer any more questions on the issue. Who are you going to believe, the state Division of Criminal Justice Services, or the agency that has lied to the public before about both sex offenders and where it will house the homeless period?

The two men the state says are in the old Pan Am are extremely dangerous. Beware of them. If they’ve become law-abiding, great, but that’s highly unlikely.

One, Dwayne Clark, now 47, “immediately and physically overpowered” his victims: two 13-year-old girls and one 10-year-old girl. His offenses are listed as “sexual intercourse” with the girls and “deviate sexual intercourse.” He was given between two and a half and five years in prison.

Clark also has used the aliases Richard Clark, Wayne Clark, Derrick Taylor and the rather odd Derrick Taylorm.

The other offender, Rodney Moultrie, 46, threatened, “immediately and physically overpowered” and choked a woman. His offense also is listed as “sexual intercourse,” and he was hit with four to eight years in prison.

These are the men the state says are living with the young mothers, teens, tweens, kids, toddlers and infants being housed at the Boulevard Family Residence. It’s unfathomable that the city would put them there. Yet, if the state records are correct — and it’s the offenders themselves who provide Albany with their addresses — they’re there, or at least they were as of June 7.

If they haven’t been removed already thanks to Barca’s inquiries, they must be immediately. There are shelters just for single men, and that’s where they belong — unless of course they’re caught reoffending and go back up the river.

They sure don’t belong in a shelter where they’re surrounded by vulnerable women and children — not to mention that two schools, the 51st Avenue Academy and IS 5, are in the immediate area. This is like putting a recovering alcoholic in a bar or liquor store, except with far worse possible repercussions. The academy is only 600 feet from the shelter’s front door, which means the city is breaking state law.

Last year the DHS put a sex offender in a family shelter in East Elmhurst. Also last year, it promised to remove several of them from a men’s shelter in South Ozone Park — once the public learned they were living within 1,000 feet of a school, the legal limit — and instead moved new ones in. After mounting pressure it finally moved them all out.

Yes, the DHS has a daunting task, as it’s required to house anyone who says he is undomiciled, and homelessness is on the rise here — even as the economy is generally improving. But that’s no excuse for the utter disdain it must hold for the safety of those entrusted to its care, not to mention the constant lying. This agency, which lacks a real commissioner, has become a disgrace. It must get new leadership and turn itself around before something terrible happens because it so recklessly ignores President Obama’s dictum (in his case on foreign policy): “Don’t do stupid [stuff].”

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s