What happened to the two little girls in the Bronx who were killed by a faulty radiator in an apartment building that was on the 100 worst landlord list is tragic and heart breaking, but also shows the problem with this Mayor and his homeless policies, the problems with Department of Homeless Services, the problem with NY being a right to shelter state and homeless parents who were not able to provide for themselves let alone be so irresponsible to have two babies that they were not able to take care of it.
First, our irresponsible mayor dickBlasio and the fucked up city agency Department of Homeless Services placed this family and others knowingly in a building that was on the Public Advocate list of the the 100 worst buildings/slumlords. The Bushwick Economic Development Corp., a non-profit hired by the city, moved the family into the building in late 2015 even though the landlord was on this list. Both the Mayor and DHS were completely negligent big time for the fuck-up. Plus the fact that this family bounced from one shelter to another in a short period of time from Queens to the Bronx.
On the other hand, this whole “right to shelter” bullshit in this city and state where people can come from other states or countries, plop down in this city with no money or job and the city must place them in a shelter, which of course is paid for by us, the tax payers, while the city of origin gets off scott free. This was the case with the parents of these two little girls.
In the article below:
The Ambroses moved to New York from a hardscrabble section of Maine a little over a year ago in search of a better life.“It’s hard for them here because we don’t have a lot of work,” said Jennifer Ambrose who lives outside of Camden, Maine. The family entered the shelter system on July 9, 2015. They were initially living at the 93rd Avenue Family Residence in Queens before they were moved to the Bronx building on Oct. 31, 2015, sources said. Peter Ambrose has been trying for years to turn his life around after a difficult childhood in his home state of Maine, his grandmother said. He grew up without his parents and had some run-ins with the law.
So the Ambroses lived in Maine and obviously were not working, obviously had no savings and obviously could NOT take care of themselves YET decided to have not one, but two children that they could not even provide for. Then, decided to move to NYC, the most expensive city in the country with no money, no job and no housing “to look for a better life”. REALLY, so you came to the most expensive city that has a housing issue. What could go wrong.
A tragic situation made worse by irresponsible adults.
From The Daily News:
Danielle McGuire Ambrose and her husband Peter spent about 40 minutes inside the Hunts Point apartment where their two girls died Wednesday in a cloud of boiling hot steam.
The couple didn’t comment, but Peter Ambrose paused briefly to look at a sidewalk memorial honoring his daughters Ibanez Ambrose, 2, and Scylee Vayoh Ambrose, 1.
The parents, in a heartbreaking gesture, gave neighbor Annie Martinez all of the little girls’ clothes to distribute among the other families in the building.
“Right now, I can’t speak,” said Martinez. “I don’t have no words.”
Photos taken inside the home show the girls’ wooden cribs, one slightly larger than the other, sitting side-by-side just behind a hole in the floor where the faulty radiator was apparently located.
A little red bike and other childrens’ toys littered the floor, and kids’ artwork was still hanging from the yellow walls.
The girls were napping when a valve apparently popped off the heating unit — filling the room with steam in what Mayor de Blasio called a “freak accident.”
The Ambroses’ sad visit came a day after officials and the girls’ relatives blasted the city for placing the homeless family in a building owned by a notorious slumlord.
The Hunts Point Ave. building is used by the city to house homeless families as part of its much-maligned cluster-site program, which provides temporary shelter in privately owned complexes.
The Bushwick Economic Development Corp., a non-profit hired by the city, moved the family into the building in late 2015 when its landlord was listed on the Public Advocate Letitia James’ list of the “100 worst” in the city.
The Bronx district attorney’s office is investigating Moshe Piller and his building at 720 Hunts Point Ave. The Ambroses and the other homeless families living in the building have been moved elsewhere, officials said.
A woman who lived in the unit before the Ambrose family moved in told the Daily News Thursday the same radiator malfunctioned in the same way a year earlier.
The previous tenant, Charlene Jackson, said she reported the breakdown to her case worker at the non-profit known as BEDCO but no one came to fix it.
Neither the Department of Homeless Services nor BEDCO responded to requests for comment about the alleged prior incident with the radiator. But a DHS spokesman said the agency had inspected the radiator twice before the incident — on Nov. 2 and Dec. 5 — and found no problems.
Reached Friday, Peter Ambrose’s grandmother said the city should have known better.
“They’re already downtrodden,” Peter’s grandmother Jennifer Ambrose said Friday. “Why does the system treat them like this?”
The Ambroses moved to New York from a hardscrabble section of Maine a little over a year ago in search of a better life.
“It’s hard for them here because we don’t have a lot of work,” said Jennifer Ambrose who lives outside of Camden, Maine.
The family entered the shelter system on July 9, 2015. They were initially living at the 93rd Avenue Family Residence in Queens before they were moved to the Bronx building on Oct. 31, 2015, sources said.
Peter Ambrose has been trying for years to turn his life around after a difficult childhood in his home state of Maine, his grandmother said. He grew up without his parents and had some run-ins with the law.
“He’s been through so much, but he put his whole self into those babies,” Jennifer Ambrose said. “They were his life. We’re all just sick.”