As usual not a peep out of questionable Queens Borough President Melinda Katz with this homeless drop-in center being placed in Ozone Park, which DOES NOT HAVE A HOMELESS ISSUE, but it will now when all the problematic bottom of the barrel folks made there way to Ozone Park for a nap, shower (I doubt that), get something to eat, etc. This is the equivalent of putting out milk for stray cats. Once they know where the milk is, they keep coming back and they bring their buddies. But the folks in Ozone Park would rather have cats (no pun intended) than problematic homeless folks, which will more than likely being very problematic single males.
So Katz, why didn’t you have this put on your block, I mean “if it’s good for families, it’s good for Queens.” I guess as long as it is not in your own backyard, but someone elses like people of color and immigrant communities.
So black people and immigrants, remember Melinda Katz when it comes time for election. She stood by silently, while they dumped more homeless shit in your community.
From Queens Chronicle:
Ozone Park anti-drop-in center crowd promises resistance
Ozone Park residents said Sunday they will not be deterred in their opposition to a homeless drop-in center on Atlantic Avenue, even as the lease for the building was finalized days before.
“We’re not giving up the fight,” resident Joe Maldonado said at a protest in front of the building.
The Department of Homeless Services and Breaking Ground last Thursday signed a lease agreement with the landlord of 100-32 Atlantic Ave., which previously housed Dallis Bros. Coffee, to turn the site into a drop-in center. The center will not be a permanent place of residence, but rather a place for homeless people on the street to go to take a shower or get something to eat. It will be operated by Breaking Ground.
Details of the lease or when the site will become operational were not immediately available.
A few dozen residents, along with Assemblyman Mike Miller (D-Woodhaven), stood outside the site Sunday to protest the move.
“You’re getting the worst of the worst over here,” said Maldonado, a Republican who unsuccessfully challenged Miller in November. “It’s unsafe.”
He and others cited the presence of public and private schools within a one-mile radius of the site, including the High School of Construction, Trades, Engineering and Architecture — which is less than 200 feet from the drop-in center.
“Why didn’t they think about that?” said concerned resident Wanda Torres. “I think it’s too close to homes and too close to the school.”
When the drop-in center was first proposed last summer, the community raised concerns over its proximity to the high school because any sex offender potentially staying there would be in violation of state law mandating they stay 1,000 feet from any educational facility.
DHS and Breaking Ground officials told residents late last year it would not serve sex offenders at the site – but that still remains an issue for some who believe the nonprofit will have trouble accurately identifying them.
Councilman Ruben Wills (D-South Jamaica) discussed the matter in a statement, issued in conjunction with Miller last Friday.
“The current deficiencies within the Department of Homeless Services and its providers have led to both unintentional and blatant violations of State statutes that govern the movement of certain sex offenders (i.e. Skyway); the same is likely to happen here,” the councilman said, referring to the South Ozone Park shelter. “I cannot in good faith endorse any such proposal under these circumstances, and have repeatedly urged DHS and Breaking Ground to reconsider.”
Looking for a way to stop the center, residents wondered if they could seek a court injunction against it. Miller said he would contact the law firm that fought a proposed homeless shelter in Glendale.
“Do you see them in there, in Glendale?” the assemblyman responded when asked by a resident if the firm was a good choice.
Stanley Shuckman, a realtor who owns the strip of stores across the street from the Atlantic Avenue site, volunteered to pay for the legal services.
Shuckman said he showed the DHS and Breaking Ground several sites he believes would have been more suitable for the center.
“I had a very specific criteria,” Shuckman said. “It would’ve solved all these problems.”
He did not specify which sites he showed told the two groups but last month officials from both the DHS and Breaking Ground Community Board 9 none of the suggestions he gave them would have been suitable.
But Shuckman believes that’s because the landlord of the Atlantic Avenue site, Fred Khalili, was able to give them an attractive deal.
“Why else would you hold onto a vacant property for months and not put it on the market?” the realtor said.
Miller, in his statement, said, “When Breaking Ground and Department of Homeless Services was given the opportunity to find viable alternative locations they appeased the community by looking at other sites and then claimed the original location was the best fit. They settled for this location because it was available and the landlord was looking to rent it.”
He also said the agencies were not being transparent with the community on the details of the plan.
“No matter how many times I asked for updated information, both organizations were not forthcoming,” the legislator said. “This is the process? Where is the community involvement?”
Community Board 9 Chairman Raj Rampershad said at last Tuesday’s board meeting he plans to meet with the DHS and Breaking Ground in the near future.
Officials from the nonprofit told CB 9 last month it plans to phase in the number of homeless people it serves at the site, starting with 10 per day. That number will remain steady until next year, when it will go up to 50 and ultimately 125.